In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “Burning Down the House.”
5 things I take with me if my house burnt down:
1) Childhood Photo Albums – namely that first one where I am a fatty baby with chipmunk cheeks
2) My grandfather’s pocket watch
3) My great-grandmother’s ring
4) My leather-bound, self-assembled book of quotes
5) A brass compass that I found in the depths of a market in India, and which embodies continually finding your way in life
The really irreplaceable one is the family pictures, because everything else, even though it holds sentimental value for me, is ultimately less missed than one thinks. What really matters is who you have standing next to you, seeing it ablaze, turning to ashes, and helping you get your life back together.